Contact Us Today 856-365-0080

4 eligibility categories that could help you adjust your status

4 eligibility categories that could help you adjust your status

Posted by Saul Steinberg | Jun 04, 2018 | 0 Comments

Living in the United States can help many people live more fulfilling lives than the ones they may have led in their native countries. Of course, if you came to the U.S. on a visa, you will need to take additional steps if you wish to permanently remain in the country. In most cases, this means seeking an adjustment to your immigration status.

If you want to obtain legal permanent residency, also known as obtaining your green card, you will need to fit into a certain eligibility category. From there, you can determine the correct steps to take in order for you to work toward obtaining your green card.

Eligibility categories

There are several categories through which you could work toward obtaining legal permanent residency. Some of those categories include the following:

  • Green card through family: In this category, you must have an immediate relative who is a United States citizen, such as your spouse, your parent if you are under 21 years old or your child if the child is 21 years old or older. You could also qualify for this category if you have another relative, fiancé or deceased spouse who is/was a citizen.
  • Green card as a special immigrant: You may also qualify to apply for an adjustment of status if you are a religious worker, worked for the U.S. while in Afghanistan or Iraq, are an international broadcaster, or an employee of an international organization.
  • Green card through employment: You may have the ability to pursue a green card through employment if you are a first, second or third preference immigrant worker, immigrant investor, or a physician who will work in an underserved area for a designated time period.
  • Green card for victims of abuse: If you have suffered abuse at the hands of a U.S. citizen or at the hands of a Cuban native, you could utilize this category. You may also qualify if your child is a U.S. citizen and suffered abuse.

These are only a few examples of the categories that you could fall into when looking to adjust your immigration status.

Seeking help

Because working toward obtaining a green card can have its difficulties, you may want to gain information that applies to your situation. In order to determine the category that best fits your situation, the correct steps to take in order to apply for a green card and information regarding many other aspects of your journey, you may want to speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney.

About the Author

Saul Steinberg

Saul J. Steinberg was born and raised in Camden, NJ. He has practiced in Camden County since first being admitted to the bar. Since 1990, he has also handled cases in Southeastern Pennsylvania.The emphasis of Saul's practice is in Criminal and Civil litigation. He has handled major criminal and c...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Zucker Steinberg Wixted is committed to answering your questions about Civil Litigation, DUI / DWI Defense, State & Federal Criminal Defense, Family Law, and Personal Injury law issues in the southern New Jersey area.

We’ll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.