Zucker Steinberg & Wixted
Free Consultation
Practice Areas

Immigrants often need certain visas or green cards for employment

Many immigrants come to the United States to build better lives for themselves and their families. This action often means finding gainful employment in New Jersey or whatever state they may choose to reside. Of course, obtaining employment as an immigrant is not always easy to understand.

If you are coming from another country specifically to work for a U.S. company, it is important to know whether your employment status will be temporary or permanent. This factor could influence whether you need a visa or green card. The type of employment you will hold can also affect your visa or green card.

Work visas and green cards

A variety of work visas and green cards exist. They cover different types of workers and different types of industries. You may wish to gain more information on the following types of work visas:

  • L-1 visa applies to foreign workers and owners who want to transfer to a U.S. business.
  • E-1 and E-2 visa permits apply to investors and traders.
  • H-1B visa applies to foreign workers who will be employed in specialty occupations.
  • H-2B visa applies to temporary positions, excluding agricultural jobs.

There are five types of employment green cards that could apply to foreign individuals coming to work permanently in the United States, which include the following:

  • EB-1 green card is available for individuals with talents in arts, sciences, business, athletics or education.
  • EB-2 green card is for workers who have an exceptional ability and advanced educational degrees. Foreign physicians who will work in an underserved U.S. area may also apply for this green card.
  • EB-3 green card applies to workers who have had at least two years of training and experience in a particular skill, workers who have bachelor's degrees and unskilled workers.
  • EB-4 green card is for religious workers, individuals who worked for the U.S. government abroad and translators who worked with the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • EB-5 green card is for business investors who invest $1 million or those who invest $500,000 in a targeted employment area.

These visas and green cards are not easy to obtain. If you would like to legally work in the United States, it may be in your best interests to consult with an attorney who can provide more information on these visas as well as ensure that any prospective employers understand your situation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get in touch

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

415 Federal Street
Camden, NJ 08103

Phone: 856-288-1767
Fax: 856-338-0217
Camden Law Office Map

3117 Atlantic Avenue
Atlantic City, NJ 08401

Phone: 609-464-2085
Map & Directions

Review Us

Stay Connected with us

facebook twitter Linkedin