Zucker Steinberg & Wixted
Free Consultation
Practice Areas

4 eligibility categories that could help you adjust your status

Living in the United States can help many people live more fulfilling lives than the ones they may have led in their native countries. Of course, if you came to the U.S. on a visa, you will need to take additional steps if you wish to permanently remain in the country. In most cases, this means seeking an adjustment to your immigration status.

If you want to obtain legal permanent residency, also known as obtaining your green card, you will need to fit into a certain eligibility category. From there, you can determine the correct steps to take in order for you to work toward obtaining your green card.

Eligibility categories

There are several categories through which you could work toward obtaining legal permanent residency. Some of those categories include the following:

  • Green card through family: In this category, you must have an immediate relative who is a United States citizen, such as your spouse, your parent if you are under 21 years old or your child if the child is 21 years old or older. You could also qualify for this category if you have another relative, fiancé or deceased spouse who is/was a citizen.
  • Green card as a special immigrant: You may also qualify to apply for an adjustment of status if you are a religious worker, worked for the U.S. while in Afghanistan or Iraq, are an international broadcaster, or an employee of an international organization.
  • Green card through employment: You may have the ability to pursue a green card through employment if you are a first, second or third preference immigrant worker, immigrant investor, or a physician who will work in an underserved area for a designated time period.
  • Green card for victims of abuse: If you have suffered abuse at the hands of a U.S. citizen or at the hands of a Cuban native, you could utilize this category. You may also qualify if your child is a U.S. citizen and suffered abuse.

These are only a few examples of the categories that you could fall into when looking to adjust your immigration status.

Seeking help

Because working toward obtaining a green card can have its difficulties, you may want to gain information that applies to your situation. In order to determine the category that best fits your situation, the correct steps to take in order to apply for a green card and information regarding many other aspects of your journey, you may want to speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Get in touch

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

415 Federal Street
Camden, NJ 08103

Phone: 856-288-1767
Fax: 856-338-0217
Camden Law Office Map

3117 Atlantic Avenue
Atlantic City, NJ 08401

Phone: 609-464-2085
Map & Directions

Review Us

Stay Connected with us

facebook twitter Linkedin